New to caving?
What is caving?
Caving - also occasionally known as Spelunking or Potholing - is the recreational pastime of exploring wild (generally non-commercial) cave systems.
Trips by SEC involve the following:
- Revisiting known cave systems.
- Pushing the limits of known cave systems by digging or bolting possible extensions.
- Searching for and exploring new cave systems.
- Occasionally visiting deeper parts of commercial caves not open to the public.
Specific Caving Activities:
- Walking through the caves.
- Squeezing through parts of the cave (Variants include getting stuck).
- Climbing - this may involve smaller or longer climbs depending on the cave.
- Vertical Rope work - using SRT (Single Rope Technique) skills.
- Crawling (variants include rolling, sliding on your bum or back)
- Swimming (variants include tubing or rowing or freediving)
- Mapping and Surveying of Caves
What do you need for your first caving trip?
- Let the meet leader know whether you are joining a trip and what equipment you need.
- You must be 16 years or older, unless your parents are members of SEC.
- A climbing helmet - the club can lend this to you if don't have one.
- A head light - the club can provide you with a basic light if you don't have one.
- 3 AAA batteries if you are using the club's head light.
- An Overall or old clothes - these need to be comfortable to allow movement and long sleeved to protect arms, knees and elbows.
- The caves are generally not cold so a single layer of clothing is enough.
- Closed shoes - tekkies, safety boots, miners' boots, hiking boots, trail running shoes all work well.
- Water and Food and a small bag to carry this in if you are joining us on a longer trip.
- R100 as this is the day member's fee.
- Water and Food and a small bag to carry this in if you are joining us in a short trip.
- A dust mask, especially for certain caves.
- Gloves to protect your hands.
- Knee Guards and Elbow Guards.
- Camera - preferably one that is protected from the elements.
- Something to braai afterwards and something to drink during the braai.
How do I join a trip?
Please refer to the meetlist for a list of caving trips.
Please refer to the contact us page for the contact details.